UPDATE: FPSummer is back! New reviews will be on Thursdays from 7/19 for the rest of the summer. I’m also going back and playing previously-reviewed titles further to refine my reviews, and you can see below which entries I consider done so far.
Seems I’ve made a habit of tackling different genres every year for my summer series, and this year we’ve landed on first-person shooters. I’ve got a bit of a gap in my reviews as far as this style is concerned, despite touching on some major players like DOOM, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. So for the month of June, we’re going to fix that.
Unlike my other series where I play fast and loose with the genre definitions, FPSes are such a broad and varied field that I’m going to lay down some rules for this one:
- I’m focusing on shooty games this month, so anything that’s not gun-centric gets a pass. Thief and Dishonored are some of my favorite games but I’ll get to them another time.
- I want to keep this one contemporary, so no classics like Half-Life or Unreal. I think the oldest title I’m reviewing this time is from 2004. If Quake is more your speed I reviewed nearly the whole franchise two years ago.
- We’re mostly covering single-player experiences, though some of these titles may have multiplayer components.
- I’m doing one major franchise, Far Cry, and a few older ones. Stuff like Serious Sam will be its own series someday.
Reviews will go up on the website every day at 8am PST, though they might not show up on this list or on Steam until later. I’ll tell you up front that I may have to cut this series short depending on how things go, as I got off to a rough start and I’ll be away on vacation for the last week of June. But the goal is daily reviews for the whole month, and I’m gonna do my damnedest to stick to it.
As always, if you enjoy the work that I’m doing then spread the word! Link my reviews, tell your friends about me, or repost stuff on the social media of your choice. You can follow my curations on Steam, like my page on Facebook, or follow me on Twitter. And if you really REALLY like me, you can donate on Patreon to help me secure new games for these series and expand my work in new and exciting ways.
Alright, plug’s over… Let’s get to business!
1. Bunker Punks (Done)
2. Far Cry
3. E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy (Done)
4. Immortal Redneck (Done)
5. Rise of the Triad (Done)
9. Far Cry 2 (Done)
12. Crysis Warhead (Done)
14. Receiver (Done)
15. Blood and Bacon (Done)
16. Far Cry 3 (Done)
18. BioShock Infinite (Done)
19. Prey (Done)
20. Call of Juarez Gunslinger (Done)
21. Crysis 2 (Done)
22. Burial at Sea – Episode One (DLC) (Done)
23. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon (Done)
24. Sanctum 2
25. Day One: Garry’s Incident (Done)
26. Totally Accurate Battlegrounds (Done)
27. Shadow Warrior (Done)
28. Burial at Sea – Episode Two (DLC) (Done)
29. Medal of Honor (Done)
30. Overload (Done)
31. This Strange Realm Of Mine (Done)